This is a bit of a twist on the american classic rocky road, instead of peanuts I use broken almonds and ground hazel nuts to give a more elegant taste.
Ok, so now for the business part… however, this is a relatively easy and fast recipe and once you have mastered the simple techniques in this recipe you can start playing around with your own flavour combinations or cup cake versions of classic ones.
Preheat oven to 180°c
- Beat together: eggs and sugar, then add the oil in parts to achieve a mayonaise like consistency
- Sift flour and baking powder together
- Combine flour mix throughly with egg mix and lemon juice
- Stir in nuts and chocolate (Alternatively if you like a chewy cake add a handful of marshmallows to the batter and as they bake the marshmallows will melt and create chewy areas, yum!)
- Transfer finished batter to a piping and pipe into cup cake cases until around half full
- Bake for around 20 mins or until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean
- Meanwhile, beat phili and icing sugar together
- Melt chocolate in a bain marie and beat into the sweatened phili
- Mix until smooth, transfer to a piping bag and chill
- When the cakes are cool pipe the chocolate phili frosting and decorate with the almonds, chocolate & marshmallows
- Lightly toast the marshmallows and brown the almonds with a chefs blow torch (Don’t worry if you melt the chocolate slighty), taking care if using paper cup cake cases not to set them alight!
- Finally present the cakes on your favourate cup cake stand or simply devour!